The Editorial Bootcamp can be offered in customizable modules to private groups, including nonprofits and publishers. We offer half-day, whole-day, or two-day workshops as well as telecourses and webinars. Pricing varies depending on whether your group is a nonprofit or in the private sector and by how many attendees are expected. We prefer to put together a custom proposal based on your needs before quoting any prices.
Our topic modules are as follows.
- Introduction/Getting Started: guidelines, resources, style guides, the field, book and journal publishing processes.
- Copyediting: concepts, grammar, punctuation, style guides, tools, exercises, practice, common issues, concerns, resources.
- Work Practices: time management, office setup, tools and products, ergonomics, communications, common issues.
- Freelance Business Practices: billing, taxes, communication, marketing, getting work, keeping clients.
These four topic areas make up the standard bootcamp agenda as we generally offer it to the public, and they easily fill a full day (8 hours) of training. You may customize an agenda to your group’s needs by choosing from the above segments and adding any of the following modules.
- Proofreading: how it differs from copyediting, where it fits in the publication cycle, production and typesetting language, technique, examples, exercises.
- Workflow and Project Management: stages of publication, author management, graphics prep, managing freelancers and vendors, communication, quality control.
- Advanced Copyediting: tables, figures, references, notes, front matter, back matter, special elements.
- Electronic Production: the XML you need to know; metadata primer; file naming, manipulation, and transmission; basic image editing; PDF markup.
- Custom Style: specific training on your style sheet or work technique. (Can also be offered as a telecourse for training for your pool of freelancers.)
- Working with Freelancers: learn how to find, develop, nurture, communicate with, and get the most out of working with freelance editors and proofreaders.
In addition, we have a strong network of publishing colleagues and can team together with them to create programs on indexing, legal copyediting, medical/scientific copyediting, inclusive language, plain language, scholarly journals editing, and more.
If you are interested in having a private event for your group, please contact us so that we can put together a proposal customized to your needs!
We have been delighted to provide customized training for publishers, including Duke University Press, Oxford University Press, and Sigma Xi, the publishers of American Scientist magazine. We have conducted successful events for the Professional Editors Network, Twin Cities (Minnesota), and the San Diego Professional Editors Network.
Some of our private training clients offered us these comments:
We recently invited Laura Poole and Carolyn Hassett to present their Copyediting and Proofreading Bootcamp to our organization, the Twin Cities Professional Editors Network [November 2010]. We could not be more pleased with the workshop. Laura and Carolyn provided a great overview for those who are new to editing, while offering helpful tips and tricks for the veterans. It is truly a unique professional development opportunity. Overall, an energizing and inspiring event! Highly recommended! A+++! –Jennifer Anderson, PEN Twin Cities
Laura exceeded my expectations in terms of her presentation on editing and proofreading [November 2010, PEN Twin Cities]. In fact, she exceeded the expectations of many of the bootcamp attendees. Laura was extremely knowledgeable, very energetic, and able to relate to the bootcamp attendees. I hope we can have her back soon for another bootcamp.” –Voncille Meyer, PEN Twin Cities
Laura’s and Carolyn’s Editorial Bootcamp will provide anyone interested in freelance editing a great introduction to the business–from basic through more complex editing to building professional connections. But it is not only for beginners, those with experience in the field will benefit from Laura’s and Carolyn’s helpful tips, insight, and instruction. A great refresher. –Neal McTighe, Duke University Press
Laura and Carolyn come prepared with thorough materials that can be used as reference long after the class is over. Their highly professional instruction was both a great introduction or refresher, and they cleared up many common misconceptions. –Fenella Saunders, American Scientist Magazine
Carolyn and Laura tailored the bootcamp to fit the needs of my business. The materials provided were robust. More important, the experience that Carolyn brought with her—based on years in this field—gave a lot of context and food for thought to my staff. And she did it all with a sense of humor! –Caitlyn Matuska, Oxford University Press